10/21/09

I wish I had thought of it first...

Seeking Girl Who Bit Me TWICE Last Night While We Were Dancing

Saturday, June 6, 2009
- m4w - 27 (42nd St and 5th Ave)
So yea...um, looking for the girl who I was dancing with last night, she bit me twice. I forget her name.



Sophie Blackwall is the most ingenious illustrator....ever.
She has illustrated a collection of random "missed connections" from Craigslist....and this is what she has to say about her work says:
"Messages in bottles, smoke signals, letters written in the sand; the modern equivalents are the funny, sad, beautiful, hopeful, hopeless, poetic posts on Missed Connections websites. Every day hundreds of strangers reach out to other strangers on the strength of a glance, a smile or a blue hat. Their messages have the lifespan of a butterfly. I'm trying to pin a few of them down."



I have a secret fettish with Craigslist's Missed Connections.
At work, we went through a very short stint where we created MCs...and had contests to see which ad would elicit the most return emails. (believe it or not- Whole Foods seems to be the haven for love....even more so than Kennywood....or the dance clubs...) And please don't think we're evil for creating fictional MCs. They were very specific, and ridiculous, and anyone who replied to them...well...I won't cast judgements--but, lets just say: a wee bit desperate(?)

Anyways, Sophie is my new hero. (and honestly, you really should look at some of her brilliant illustrations here.)

2 comments:

DeMo said...

That's genius. And so funny that you created your own MCs. I was reading that illustration and thought it sounded like a MC. I was so right, but that's such a weird one!

Amy Frazier said...

haha! Just read your comments on my blog... I am afraid I am not so good at blogging. I never have anything interesting to say. I enjoy reading other peoples though :) the symphony was great, you would have loved it. glad we got to talk!