10/19/08

life-lessons i've learned this weekend:

  1. Hang out at sporting events.
  2. Carry small bills.

it may seem like these are some random life-lessons for me to be learning, but- let me explain:

"hang out at sporting events"
I spent my saturday morning enjoying the streets of bellevue (after dropping off my car to get state-inspection stickers) YES- can you believe it? i am now a fully-legit/legalized-pennsylvania resident. (*complete with a PA license plate)
Anyways, I walked into this cute little thrift/antique store downtown and immediately the owner pounced on me- (in a very friendly old-man sort of way?) anyways, i kid you not- the FIRST words out of his mouth: "Too bad all my sons are already spoken for- they're all over 6' 5" (very thoughtful of him. but- do i just scream "tall-single-girl"?) Well- we kept talking, for about half an hour (and when i say "we talked" i really mean "he talked"...) And he was insistent that i needed to attend as many sporting events as possible (because "that's where all the tall boys hang out"). He supposedly met his tall-wife at a volleyball game. and i believe his three "over 6'5" sons met their wives as sporting events as well?
However, I can't help but believe that I will only be a beacon of awkwardness at any sort of sporting event, and not really attractive-potential-wife-material... (thanks for the tips though)

"carry small bills"
So- i had my first adventure at a (non-college) laundromat yesterday. It was a bit frightening. I walked in with fake confidence, and pretended like i knew which machines were the washers and which ones were the dryers (and was only examining them all closely because...um...that's what everyone does.) well- in all of my laundromat preparation, i kindof forgot about the necessity of quarters. (seriously...who am i?) So, of course they have a change-machine (i mean- it's a laundromat...) BUT, i only have one $20 bill. So, i am left with little choice, except to insert my poor little $20 into the change machine...where it is immediately converted into 80 quarters.
I've never gambled before....but the feeling I got as all those quarters game spilling out of that change machine must be a taste of what it is like to hit the jackpot.
The rest of the laundromat experience was pretty uneventful. But, i did discovered that the bathroom door is locked, and you can only pee if you insert a quarter. I feel like laundromats are ruled entirely by quarters. (and, in that case- i am queen of the laundromat, because i have 80 of them)

3 comments:

Molly said...

WOW-

Oh Leslye. Think of all the fun things you can do with 80 quarters! Gumball machines, Stick-on tattoo dispensers, jukeboxes....The options are endless! :)

linda said...

you have to use a quarter to pee? what's the penn. state?

melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.