10/15/08

hello world.

so, I’ve finally caved, and joined the elite masses in blog-world. (ok. so, maybe they’re not elite. but, people choose to read about their life…so, that has to count for something?)
anyways, I’ve discovered that when you live by yourself, there’s really no one to tell all of your funny and awkward stories to (and I happen to have quite a few) so, now (*even if no one ever really reads this) I’ll at least feel like I’m sharing them…

so, with all of that being said, here it is: Post #1!
(and what else could I possibly write about?)

AUTUMN

I LOVE autumn, the crunchy leaves…scarves & sweaters…crisp mornings…being able to drink hot drinks ALL the time…and of course---autumn pancakes!

I’m not exactly sure when or how autumn pancakes entered my life, but they are absolutely wonderful. (I think the recipe was somewhat inspired by miss wyman’s incredible cookies…(which still have no official name…except “linda’s cookies”)
but, for those of you who are fellow autumn-lovers, I’m letting you in on the secret of “autumn pancakes.”


Autumn Pancakes
  • 1st- make a batch of regular pancake batter. (any recipe or instant mix will work, although I like adding a bit of whole wheat flower to mine…it makes it a little more…well…autumn-ish.)
  • 2nd- add 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract to the batter. (if you’re a “no-name-brand” kind of grocery-shopper, you may have to add a little more since imitation vanilla really doesn’t really have that much flavor…I would compare it to smelly brown water…)
  • 3rd- mix in ¾ cup of chopped pecans. (depending on your desired “crunchy-ness,” these can be as small or big as you want them to be.)
  • 4th- add ¾ cup of butterscotch chips. (this ingredient is definitely credited to Linda, who always had a supply of these in our freezer…)
  • 5th- add as much nutmeg and cinnamon as you possibly can!
  • Finally- Grill the batter just like you would for normal pancakes, and then serve them warm…(with butter, hot syrup, and a little bit of powdered-sugar-lovin’ on top)



alright. now don't shoot me, but i had to include this:

AUTUMN.

The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry's cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.

The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I'll put a trinket on.

-Emily Dickenson


(*I’m not a poet…and I really don’t know how the heck to interpret poetry, but- I sure hope miss Dickenson was referring to scarves when she was talking about those “trinkets.”)

gosh. I love scarves.

but mostly, I love autumn.

2 comments:

linda said...

welcome.

melissa said...

welcome, indeed.

and no, most of the cuteness was inherent in the house. the only cuteness i added was in my room and some mums on the porch.
and alas, there is no dog yet.