9/17/09

love.

it's true. I'm not a musical aficionado.

and oddly enough, most people expect me to be (it must have to do with the fact that I play the violin, and am usually pretty informed and (i think?) generally well-cultured)...

buuut, somehow or another, the musical-ness just slipped through the cracks.
(although I think a lot of that could be blamed on that fact that up until highschool (aaaand, maybe all the way through highschool?) my musical repertoire consisted mostly of bands like....point of grace, and plusone (?)
oh. don't judge my shameful confessions.
*and...can we really even call those bands?

yeah, not a big fan of those years. (or the random collection of resulting cds)...



but, college was good to me. (and a big thankyou all of my musical-enlightening friends: you know who you are) Because now I can listen to music, (and even though I still may not know a lot of band-names, or genre-jargon) i DO know what I like. and what I don't like.

(I consider this a major accomplishment)

and my friends will tell you that I enjoy soft, slow, acoustic, (semi-catchy), beautiful music. (*preferably string-infused....and bordering dangerously close to folksy.).
In fact, people have started burning me cds or recommending bands based on: "I think you would like this."

(ok, this might not sound like a big deal to you, but trust me: it's huge.)

and not only is my personal musical-taste continuing to progress...my musical responsibilities are too.

let me explain:
in college, I was really at the mercy of my various roommates, classmates, mac-lab-mates, etc for music. I was never the one who pushed play. (and I liked it that way)....it still kindof stresses me out to put new cds in my car, or pick a jogging-playlist on my ipod. I think it's the vast expanse of options. it's really just quite overwhelming...

but, anyways...I was never the "DJ friend." (which was probably a good idea)...except at Christmas, maybe.
*I mean- anyone could pick between 5 different holiday CDs, right? ...not too hard

and now...NOW: i'm all grown up, and picking my own playlists. I (very rarely...but, still...sometimes) even suggest music to other people(!)

aaaaand I'm not sure why or how...but I've even taken over at work as Pandora-DJ.
yep. whatever comes out of my computer becomes the office-soundtrack.
*talk about pressure?!?!

oh, but carlyn: if you're reading this. feel free to take over the playlist at anytime.
(I know that acoustic, folksy, beautiful music is really hard to stay awake to...especially around the 3:00pm heat-waves...)




So, why all this talk about music?

well...let me tell you:

...actually, on second thought- just listen. to this man: {click here}



and if you need more convincing, just look at this:















i mean...how could you NOT want to listen to a man singing
(when he is smooshed between a violin and a cello?)





uuuuughghghghgh.....melt me.

No comments: