11/4/09

telephone poles.

So, I was driving to work this morning- and suddenly was just really weirded out by the thought of telephone poles. (I know, random...but, it's Wednesday morning? What do you expect?)

I think it all started when I passed a big tractor-trailer, who was carring (one) very very very long wooden pole. (You know how people carry extraordinarily-long pieces of plywood? or hardware? or Lowes/HomeDepot-esque supplies in their trunk or truckbed, and tie little orange flags to the end?...so you won't run into them?) Well, just imagine that, but on a much larger scale. (a very very very long wooden pole hanging off the end of a tractor-trailer truckbed, with a HUGE orange flag attached to the end.)

And I thought to myself...(in normal Wednesday-morning fashion)...What in the world is this huge wooden pole for? Wouldn't it be easier to just chop it up? And it seems like a bit of a waste to have a HUGE tractor-trailer transporting just one pole.

And then I had my Wednesday-morning epiphany. (it was a telephone pole)

But, then I started thinking about it...and telephone poles are really just odd. And archaic. (archaic would be the right word, right?) I mean, the world is full of so much ridiculously-unbelievable technology. And we STILL stick big wooden poles in the ground?

And where do you find trees for telephone poles? I mean, they're huge. and perfectly straight.
Do they have special telephone-pole-breeding-forests? Where only ridiculously tall&straight trees grow? I mean, have you ever really looked at a telephone pole? And really thought about how many hundreds of thousands of billions of those things there are around the word?

(where are all these tall skinny trees coming from?)





anyways. those are my mid-week ponderings.
(and bless you all for reading this much about telephone poles)

2 comments:

DeMo said...

You're not alone! I've thought the same thing. I was stretching for a run one day and was using a telephone pole as a support and I looked up to see the rusted staples from many postings of lost dogs or garage sales. It's like a little slice of history in one faithful piece of wood.

Carlyn said...

I think you had a late night on Tuesday...